a blog about creating (meaning)

Monday, December 6, 2010

Chinese Lanterns

Chinese Lanterns are indigenous to Japan and southeastern Europe, not China.  I've always been intrigued by these vivid, paper-thin (when dried) flowers.  Psysalis alkekengi come in many colors, ranging from yellowish-orange to leaded-lipstick red. Yes, there is lead in most commercial lipsticks. Lead is readily absorbed through the thin membranes of the lips. Pick your poison wisely. Myself, I like Burt's Bees! Back to the lanterns.  
 
Sketches for Chinese Lanterns
I am working on a crewel-type embroidery design for stitching Chinese Lanterns on wool. I have ideas about making a quilt with embroidered squares, but a pillow would probably be more practical in terms of time, energy, and durability.  I'm fondest of functional art and craft, but then again, the images I have dancing in my head might lend themselves to wall art as well. I can clearly see in my mind's eye what these various projects might look like, even at this very early stage.  However, I'm experienced enough to know that what my mind creates may well be far afield from what my hands construct. I invite you along to share the process and see where it takes me.
Detail of sketch

No comments:

Post a Comment