a blog about creating (meaning)

Friday, December 31, 2010

Cheers to Quilting for a Cause in the New Year

I read an article in American Patchwork and Quilting (February 2011--yes, I know, it's till 2010 here in northeastern U.S.--the issue arrived in the mail yesterday) about a nonprofit organization called "Quilts for Kids."  I just sent for their kit to make a quilt for a child in need.  The kit comes in one to two weeks, so I'll be in China when it arrives, but it will be here waiting for me when I return. I need projects with a purpose, and because I'm still in a cast (week twelve begins Monday...) this seems like a great focus for a couple days. The organization asks that, for every kit you receive, you make a second quilt of your own fabric to return with the first quilt.  You can read more on their site.  The url is included in this post or you can click the link under the sidebar, "Giving Back."

One of my New Year's resolutions is a commitment to what I call "Art Activism" on my website or "Sewing for a Cause" in my new, soon-to-be started, blog of the same name ("art activism" was not available).

www.quiltsforkids.org

No comments:

Post a Comment