a blog about creating (meaning)

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Kokeshi Inspired

After making some kokeshi dolls from the Melly and Me pattern, I decided to alter the embroidery design and doll shape to try and make a Chinese doll from the Japanese model.  Cultural appropriation aside, with apologies, I think I'm getting there.

  

My move to Beijing is fast-approaching and I would like to have a few dolls in hand to give to children I meet and also to use as samples for possible workshops.  I've found Japanese doll patterns and manufactured dolls aplenty, but next to none for Chinese children.  Perhaps I'll be able to educate myself a bit more once I'm there and able to explore.

I changed the original pattern to put a base on the doll.  Maybe it's just me, but I like my dolls to stand or sit on their own.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment