a blog about creating (meaning)

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Painted Dolls

I've been experimenting with Lumiere fabric paints since using them in Melanie Testa's Soy Wax Resist Workshop at Create! in Chicago this summer. 
I penciled a loose doll outline on unbleached muslin--something between a kokshei and matryoshki shaped figure.
Next, I painted the base layer and, after giving it about 30 minutes to dry, I stenciled and masked the flower from Cloth Paper Scissors' Reader's Challenge, "stencil garden" (see link for Cloth Paper Scissors and then go to "Reader's Challenge" to learn more and/or participate).  Note: Putting a towel under the fabric helps speed drying time. 

Three dolls are 4.5-5.5" high and three are 7-8" high.
I added dots with paint and lines with permanent marker.


Next, I matched fabric from my stash to the dolls "fronts." which are still just painted muslin in these photos.




Below are the three larger doll fronts and matching fabric for the backs.


No comments:

Post a Comment